The objectives of NITA are:
• To provide educational support and disseminate information on federal, state, local and tribal tax issues to tribes and their tax, finance and legal departments;
• To sponsor and hold annual conferences that inform tribal leaders and their tax representatives about on-going and current activities in the area of tribal taxation;
• To promote the development and implementation of tribal laws, procedures and administration authorizing and supporting the imposition of taxes by Indian tribal governments;
• To assist tribes in exercising their inherent power to levy, impose, collect and utilize tribal tax revenues;
• To provide a general forum for tribes to discuss matters of common interest with respect to tribal tax issues.
NITA is governed by a seven-member volunteer Board of Directors with representation from Indian tribes and tax and legal professionals serving Indian tribes from various regions within the United States, including Oklahoma, Oregon, New York State, and Washington.